TISCO

Surface: 1445,02 km2
Inhabitants: 1 817

TISCO comes from the aymara Word tishku which means to leap; but it is also believed to refer to the tishku-tishku, the local name for grasshopper, an insect commonly found in the hills nearby.
Tisco is located at an altitude of 4 188 metes above sea level and is 47 kilometers from Callalli. It was founded as a reduction with the name Oropesa de Tisco. The ayllos established in the neighborhood were reduced or gathered in Tisco.
The town’s natural landscape is impressive.

THE CHURH OF SAN PEDRO APÓSTOL
The building dates from the seventeenth century and was damaged by the 1784 earthquake. This is the church where the fusion of Cuzco, Arequipa, and Collaguas styles are probably most noticeable. There are frescoes, a carved pulpit of cedar wood, and parts of the main altar in gold leaf which in 1848 was replaced by an altar in neoclassical style according to nineteenth century “fashion”. The paintings that previously adorned the church have been stolen. In the sacristy we still find a beautiful fresco of the great Apostles San Pedro and San Pablo. The silver sheets that adorned the steps of the main altar have disappeared. In their place, colonial motifs have been painted by Professor José Luis Orihuela M., a native of Tisco.
The Parish San Pedro Apóstol of Tisco was a very important Franciscan center. Next to the church stands the Vicarage or Convent, whose vastness and number of houses testify to its importance in the past.
Near to a grotto in the neighborhood of the town stands a building with a barrel-shaped ceiling. It is known as Qaqacarcel or Stone Prison, but was one of the earliest chapels built on a pre-Hispanic cultic site. The Franciscan Friars did not destroy the sacred sites; rather they tried to “Christianize” them, by building chapels, churches or crosses over the sites. It is said that the present church was built over the entrance to a mine. Tisco was famous for its copper mines. It is well known that the walls of the Inca administrator’s palace in Coporaque, in the lower Colca Valley, were covered with sheets of copper from Tisco. The Conqueror Gonzalo Pizarro used the copper sheets to shoe his horses, and the left over metal was used for church bells.
Each Monday there is a fair in Tisco, which gathers the population.
In the Vicarage functions the Parochial Student Boardinghouse “San Pedro Apóstol” which houses 44 students. The children and young people come from afar and thanks to the boarding house they have the chance to study elementary or middle school. This has been a way to increase the number of pupils in the government school and has allowed the creation of a middle school. Many students could not have attended school without this help. We have young people over 18 in the internship. They stay for a full month and receive board and lodging. There are three people that care for them and the teachers collaborate. Two of the halls have heated floors and hot water that reaches the showers, thanks to a system of solar panels. The entire system was a donation of the Austrian firm SOLARIER, which specializes in this field.

FEASTS
June 29: San Pedro
November 21: Presentation of the Virgen María (Principal Festivity)

TRANSPORTATION
Private vehicle from Callalli (1hour 30’), especially on Mondays and Wednesdays.

 

 

 



 

 

 
Colca Life Casa Parroquial Callalli Caylloma Arequipa
TL +51-54-257532 RPM #855180 Cell +51-54-959373188 - +51-54-959692097
info[@]colcalife.com