CALLALLI

Surface: 1495, 10 km2
Inhabitants: 2 511

The name Callalli comes from the Aymara Hallalli, the flower of a nettle, a species of local flora with pink flowers. It is also believed that the name comes from the Quechua Qhali  Llalliy, agile, and winner, respectively, which placed together stand for the athlete who is agile in competition, i.e. he who wins.
Callalli, at 3 867 meters altitude, is one of the 24 "reductions" established in the times of Viceroy Francisco de Toledo, and was founded in the year 1573 by the "visitador" Lope de Suazo, who gave it the name Alcántara de Callalli. The Collagua populations was “reduced” (gathered) from small settlements, whose ruins can be seen at present in the locations called Inglis Inglis, Quena and in Callalli itself, southeast of the modern town.
One of Callali’s principal attractions is Mount Torreqaqa (Stone Mountain) or Saya Saya, which can be seen from anywhere in the village and which can be climbed after an approximately 30 minute uphill walk. Also frequently visited are the Stone Castles, monumental rock formations that do honor to their name and that extend for about 100 meters.

CHURCH OF SAN ANTONIO DE PADUA
Originally built at the time of the reducción, the building now standing was begun at the end of the eighteenth century. The contemporary aspect is the result of multiple alterations effected after earth tremors that affected the church’s structure. Volcanic stone from a nearby quarry, southeast of the town, was used in the building. It is interesting to note that two statues of the Patron St Anthony stand on the side altar, on the left within the church. The smaller sculpture that bears an inscription of the year 1588 is believed to have come from Quito, Ecuador.
On the main altar stand the Virgin of the Immaculate Conception and the statues of San Francisco de Asís and Santo Domingo. Below the floor of the Presbytery there are crypts that hold the remains of Franciscan Friars and secular priests. The church has a Sacristy, a Counter Sacristy, and a Baptistery with a baptismal font that dates from the earliest evangelization.


FEASTS
June 13: Feast of San Antonio
December 8: Feast of the Immaculate Conception


TRANSPORTATION
Bus service from the city of Arequipa (3-4 hours, 154 Km.)
Public transportation from the town of Chivay (one hour)

 

PASTORAL AND SOCIAL WORK
Since 1991, the major concern of the pastoral work has been the effort of evangelization in an area where the strong presence of sects and other religious groups has increased during the 40 years during which the stable presence of a Catholic Priest was lacking. The pastoral work began with the collaboration of two catechists, brothers Alejandro and Eloy from the departamento of Ancash, where Father Franz was stationed from 1980 until 1990. Groups of housewives were gathered into “Prayer and Reflection Groups”, youths gathered for training as catechists, and children were organized into groups of catechism. The Faith must be connected with the problems of life and must help people live in solidarity, peace, and union, always within the guidance of God’s Word. Holy Mass is celebrated each day: during the week at 7 p.m., and on Sundays at 9 a.m.
As in all the Andean Region, religiousness is connected to ancestral customs. On the important festivals of June 13, principal celebration of San Antonio de Padua, Patron of the town, the Huayllacha is danced to the sound of harp and guitar, or of military band; and, on December 8, the feast of the Immaculate Conception, people dance the Wititi, the dance of war and love. Especially on these occasions, the sacraments of Baptism and Marriage are administered. Throughout the school year children and young people are instructed to receive First Holy Communion.
The Parish, which was in a state of abandonment, now stands with the church restored and in order. The Vicarage has been restored and adapted with halls suitable for teaching courses for catechists who come for training from the various hamlets dependent on the Parish. These rooms also host the meetings of housewives, youths, and children; and for children’s breakfast, and dining rooms for children and unprotected old people.  There is space for guests and for the broadcasting of Radio San Antonio. The Parish has also organized the construction of fitotoldos (greenhouses), helps the sick, visits homes and schools, implements carpentry shops and sewing and computer centers.
The Parish also has a new Parochial Center in the main plaza of the town, which houses the Parochial Library and new studios for broadcasting Radio San Antonio de Padua. The building was funded by the Regional Government of Linz/Austria.

 
Colca Life Casa Parroquial Callalli Caylloma Arequipa
TL +51-54-257532 RPM #855180 Cell +51-54-959373188 - +51-54-959692097
info[@]colcalife.com